The Link: Uncovering Our Earliest Ancestor

The Link: Uncovering Our Earliest Ancestor

For more than a century, scientists have raced to unravel the human family tree and have grappled with its complications. Now, with an astonishing new discovery, everything we thought we knew about primate origins could change. Lying inside a high-security vault, deep within the heart of one of the world's leading natural history museums, is the scientific find of a lifetime - a perfectly fossilized early primate, older than the previously most famous primate fossil, Lucy, by forty-four million years.  A secret until now, the fossil - "Ida" to the researchers who have painstakingly verified her provenance - is the most complete primate fossil ever found. Forty-seven million years old, Ida rewrites what we've assumed about the earliest primate origins. Her completeness is unparalleled - so much of what we understand about evolution comes from partial fossils and even single bones, but Ida's fossilization offers much more than that, from a haunting "skin shadow" to her stomach contents. And, remarkably, knowledge of her discovery and existence almost never saw the light of day.

 With exclusive access to the first scientists to study her, the award-winning science writer Colin Tudge tells the history of Ida and her place in the world. A magnificent, cutting-edge scientific detective story followed her discovery, and The Link offers a wide-ranging investigation into Ida and our earliest origins. At the same time, it opens a stunningly evocative window into our past and changes what we know about primate evolution and, ultimately, our own.

Title:The Link: Uncovering Our Earliest Ancestor
Edition Language:English
ISBN:9780316070089
Format Type:Pdf, Epub, pdb, txt, docx, doc, ibook

    The Link: Uncovering Our Earliest Ancestor Reviews

  • Jim

    The book started off well enough, but didn't really progress from there. The history of the Messel pit & how Ida died were very interesting. A 47 million year old fossil in such great condition, how i...

  • Craig

    First, the negatives: 90% of this book consists of slopped-together summaries of what is already known about paleoprimatology, and most of the other 10% reads like a repetitive blog entry about the li...

  • Max Wilson

    A shared ancester with Chimpanzees that is less than 47 million years old should be freaking people out more. I don't think people get it. Forget about the religious quacks - this is making a bunch of...

  • Michelle

    "For those who like paleontology but are not be scientists in the field, this book offers a unique look into the study of paleontology, the search for fossils and just what fossil finds entail for the...

  • Elari

    This could be the positive review of a three-star book, or the negative review of a four-star book. I decided to go with a threefold opposable-thumbs up.First, the bad news:I should mention two major ...

  • Erik Graff

    This is the first book I've received of the review copies offered by GoodReads and, as such, I felt obligated to read and review it immediately upon receipt.Unlike many coauthored books, Tudge and You...

  • David Bales

    When I was in the American Museum of Natural History last month they were heavily promoting this book, so I got it out from the library. It's about the strange fossil found in the Messel coal pit in G...

  • David

    This book is about "Ida", the oldest primate fossil ever discovered. At 47 million years old, it is 43 million years older than the next oldest primate fossil, "Lucy". Ida was discovered in the 1970's...

  • Megan

    This book was quick and easy-to-read, if at times a little dry, but offered a glimpse at life on Earth 47 million years ago and the short life of the most complete primate fossil discovered, nicknamed...

  • Jeanette Lukens

    This was an interesting book about our possible common ancestor with other primates. I'm not sure, however, it merited an entire book. It seems like an in-depth article would have been more appropriat...